The following are open board member positions. The application process is by email and will remain open until all positions are filled. If you are not interested in a board position but want to volunteer with TAP Virginia, please click here.
TAP VA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created to end homelessness within the local transgender community in Virginia. Our goal is to offer safe emergency and temporary transitional housing to homeless transgender adults in our community, and to help them find the additional resources they need to remove the barriers to self-sufficiency.
Our program is an AVO (all-volunteer organization). You will be working alongside some of the most passionate transgender activists in Virginia to provide a quality and much needed service in the transgender community.
Open Position: Emergency Assistance Committee member
We are currently in need of dedicated volunteers to help us as part of our Emergency Assistance Committee. As a member in our Emergency Assistance Committee you will help us with our intake process with new clients. This means you may respond to a call or email to communicate with a potential client to assess their needs and how TAPVirginia can help them. Others may provide transportation to appointments, or call local agencies on the client’s behalf.
Please let us know if you are interested in helping us with this crucial program which is the life of our organization. You may email us at Transactivistva@gmail.com for more information. No previous experience is required. If you have the passion, dedication, and time to help the homeless, we are excited to talk to you!
Open position: Volunteer Coordinator
The Transgender Assistance Program of Virginia (TAP VA) is currently searching for a Volunteer Coordinator to start in January of 2016. This position is a one year term nonpaid board member position. You will recruit, train, develop and maintain relationships and opportunities with TAP VA volunteers as well as serve as a member on the board of directors.
- The ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Volunteer Coordinator.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Demonstrated capability to conduct oneself in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or with difficult situations.
- Experience with volunteers or demonstrated leadership experience is highly preferred.
Volunteer Coordinator responsibilities may include:
- Assist in the recruiting, screening, interviewing and training of new volunteers.
- Recommend the most efficient use of volunteers and schedule all volunteer activity.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers.
- Plan, attend, and lead all volunteer events. At least 12 in a 12 month period.
- Attend conferences/seminars/meetings as requested by the board of directors.
- Coordinate tabling events at conferences and events.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization.
- Author written communications such as letters, invites to volunteer events, instructions, or other media, as appropriate and requested by the board.
- Identify community outreach opportunities such as fairs, festivals, local markets and organizations.
- Other duties as a member on the board of directors (see Board of Directors Contract) or duties as assigned by the board.
To apply, please email us at email@example.com. In the email, please include a little information about yourself, why you are passionate about the trans community, and please touch on why you think you would be a good fit for the board member position of Volunteer Coordinator.
Don't see an opening, but know you'd be a great fit? No worries! Please email us and tell us why you want to be a part of our team.
This policy states the Transgender Assistance Program of Virginia’s position on discrimination. This policy applies to all Transgender Assistance Program of Virginia’s employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.
The Transgender Assistance Program of Virginia follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.